Transport and parking

Student parking


Further information


  • A parking permit does not guarantee a parking bay
  • Notes on vehicles are not accepted as a valid permit
  • It is in your interest to read all signage
  • Temporary permits are available


For parking enquiries try askUWA or contact the UniPark Office, telephone (+61 8) 6488 1229.

    Campus map

If you need to park your car at UWA:

  1. Eligibility for a student parking permit
  2. How to apply for a student parking permit
  3. Student parking areas
  4. Carpooling for students
  5. Refunds

Eligibility for a student parking permit

Full-time students who have completed 48 points in a degree program

If you are a full-time or part-time student who is currently enrolled in a degree program and has completed a minimum of 48 points towards a degree course (as indicated by the UWA Student Records System), you may be eligible to obtain a parking permit.

Students who are enrolled in Non-Award Courses (e.g. AccessUWA, UWA Extension (Continuing Education), Not For Degree and Cross-Institutional) are not eligible for a parking permit. 

If you have not completed 48 points of study, you are generally not entitled to a parking permit.

Graduates of another university

If you are a graduate of another university you may apply for a permit, but you will also need to provide evidence of your previous degree.

Students with less than 48 credit points are not eligible for a student parking permit

Students in their first academic year of a degree program, as indicated by the Student Record System, are not eligible for a student parking permit unless already a graduate of another university.

First-year students are encouraged to use public transport

Students residing at residential colleges and university accommodation

Students residing at University Hall, Trinity College, St George's College, St Catherine's College or St Thomas More College are not eligible for a UWA Student parking permit.

Postcodes that prevent you from applying for a permit

The Postcode exclusion list is currently under review with the possibility of changes occurring in 2019.

UWA supports alternate travel options such as public transport, walking and cycling to and from campus.  Visit public transport for more details. 

If you live in any of the following postcode areas you are not eligible for a Student parking permit:

  • 6000 - Perth City
  • 6003 - Highgate, Northbridge
  • 6004 - East Perth
  • 6005 - West Perth
  • 6006 - North Perth
  • 6007 - Leederville
  • 6008 - Subiaco, Shenton Park, Daglish
  • 6009 - Nedlands, Crawley, Dalkeith
  • 6010 - Swanbourne, Karrakatta, Claremont, Mt Claremont
  • 6011 - Cottesloe, Peppermint Grove
  • 6012 - Mosman Park
  • 6014 - Jolimont, Wembley, Floreat
  • 6018 - Churchlands, Woodlands
  • 6021 - Stirling
  • 6050 - Menora, Coolbinia, Mt Lawley
  • 6100 - Victoria Park, Lathlain
  • 6101 - East Victoria Park
  • 6107 - Cannington
  • 6158 - East Fremantle
  • 6159 - North Fremantle
  • 6162 - White Gum Valley, South Fremantle

Applying for an exemption

Please complete the yellow student parking permit exemption application form if you'd like to apply for an exemption to any of these restrictions.  Please email the completed form to Parking Permits.

Back to top

How to apply for a student parking permit

You can apply for a yellow student parking permit by using studentConnect, or in person at the UniPark Office, with the following:

  • current Student ID Card
  • vehicle make, model and registration number.

Permits purchased from studentConnect will be posted to your contact address.

Semester 1 permits will not be available to be purchased after 26 April 2019.
Semester 2 permits will not be available to be purchased after 27 September 2019.

Apply before the beginning of semester

You should apply for a student parking permit before the beginning of semester, because long delays may occur.

Full year and Semester 1 permits will be available from 21 January 2019.

Semester 2 permits will be available from 15 July 2019.

Back to top

Student parking areas

Yellow student parking permit areas

If you have a student parking permit, you can park in the yellow parking areas (car parks 1, 4, 8, 9, 21 [upper], 31, 35, 37 and 43).

A parking permit does not guarantee you a parking bay.

If all the yellow student parking areas are full, you may park in short or long-term pay and display parking areas after purchasing and displaying a ticket.

Parking without a permit

For non-permit holders, or if the permit-parking areas are full, there are long and short-term pay and display parking areas:

  • Long-term (8am to 5pm)
    Car Parks 9, 17, 23, 31, 33 and 35.
  • Short-term (8am to 5pm)
    The maximum amount of time you're allowed to park varies, so make sure to check before leaving your car.
    Car Parks 1, 3, 4, 20 and 25 (Car Park 37 parking is restricted between 7.00am to 8.00pm).

At the end of the time limit on the signage, the vehicle must be moved from the carpark.

The ticket vending machines accept credit card and coin payments and only accept 10c, 20c, 50c, $1 and $2 coins.  No change is given.

If you are using the credit card payment option, there will be a minimum charge of 1 hour.

Please don't park in reserved, disabled and service bays.

Red and yellow parking bays after hours

You don't need a permit for red and yellow bays on weekends, or after 5pm and before 8am on weekdays (except Car Park 37 where parking is restricted between 7.00am to 8.00pm, Monday to Friday)

Pay parking outside UWA

Pay parking is on the roads surrounding UWA. This parking is controlled by the City of Subiaco, City of Perth and City of Nedlands.

Back to top

Carpooling for students

Student carpooling permits are no longer available.

Back to top


If you have to return your permit and you have paid for a full-year student parking permit, you can apply for a partial refund.

You must return your permit before 2 August 2019

Permits returned before 2 August 2019, may receive a 50% refund. No refund will be given after 2 August 2019.

You must return your parking permit.

Please note There are no refunds for Semester 1 or Semester 2 permits. 

Back to top